May 15 COVID-19 Mayoral Update
The Local Health Authority (LHA) has notified the City of a possible case in Aransas Pass. The individual has tested positive for antibodies, which does not classify them as a confirmed case according to CDC guidelines. LHA is investigating and notifying people who may have had close contact with the individual.
Today, Governor Abbot announced that:
• Texas Health and Human Services Commission has received approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide food benefits through the Federal Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) to families with children who have temporarily lost access to free or discounted school meals due to COVID-19 related school closures. P-EBT provides a one-time benefit of $285 per child, which can be used in the same way as SNAP food benefits to pay for groceries.
• Waived license renewal late fees that accrued between March 13 - June 15, 2020 for occupational licenses issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
ALL CITY PUBLIC OFFICES ARE NOW OPEN AND FOLLOWING SOCIAL DISTANCING, INCLUDING THE 25% OCCUPANCY LIMIT.
NOTICE: The Office of Attorney General is directing United States Attorneys to be on the lookout for state and local directives that could be violating the constitutional rights and civil liberties of individual citizens, and to monitor state and local policies and, if necessary, take action to correct them.
San Patricio County
New Cases 0
Case Count 25
New Cases 0
Case Count 3
• As of noon today, Texas has 43,851 COVID-19 cases, and 1,216 fatalities,
• San Patricio County
- 254 tests conducted, and 25 confirmed COVID-25 cases,
- San Patricio County COVID-19 Hotline Phone Bank is operational for inquiries from residents, Monday
- Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, (361) 201-0551.
- community information website is available at www.sanpatem.com
Below is an update on what is happening today in our community on the Coronavirus (COVID-19). I want to urge our citizens to continue to comply with our Governor’s Order and practice social distancing and avoid gatherings of groups of more than 10 people to slow the spread of COVID-19.
• Texas schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year,
• Utilities, Rent and Basic Essential Assistance for Aransas Pass residents: needing assistance contact Aransas Pass for Youth at (361) 758-0012, or go to the following website: www.aransaspassyouth.org, click on COVID-19 Relief Funding. HEB Gift Cards in the amount of $25.00 are also available, if you qualify, for basis essentials.
• CDC is advising the public to use a cloth face covering when out in public. Following is a link on how to make your own face covering: https://www.cdc.gov/coro-navirus/2019- ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html
• For questions regarding Evictions, please call (361) 758-5224, Option 1,
• Assistance for Small Businesses, go to: https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-
• REMINDER - During this COVID-19 period to ensure that our residents have access to water, the City is:
1) temporarily suspending service disconnections,
2) late charges will NOT be applied for nonpayment,
3) temporarily waiving the $3.00 convenience fee,
• Texas Health and Human Services has launched a 24/7 support line to help Texans dealing with anxiety, stress, or emotional challenges due to COVID-19. The toll free number is 833-986-1919,
• Religious services may continue over video or other media technology. Churches can meet in person, but must comply with the social distancing guidelines,
• Weekly meetings are held with Representative Todd Hunter; Mayor Gomez; City Manager Edwards; Rosemary Vega, AP Chamber of Commerce; Eric Blanchard, Police Chief; and Sandra Garcia, Director of Finance to discuss local concerns serving as a direct link between local and state government,
• Emergency Operations Center staff continue to meet daily to discuss latest developments related to COVID-19. To comply with the social distancing order, meetings are held using video conferencing and other media technology,
• REMINDER - It is important that we complete the Census2020. To complete online, go to: www.my2020census.gov or by phone, for English call 1-844-330-2020, for Spanish call 1-844-468-2020,
• SAFETY TIPS from the CDC:
1. No handshakes,
2. Wash your hands,
3. Avoid touching your face,
4. Constantly and regularly disinfect surfaces - including doorknobs, handrails, tables and desks,
• REMEMBER: Use drive-thru, pickup, or delivery; and Stay Home - Stay Safe.
• I ask that we join together as a community and pray for God’s blessing, protection and strength in this time of crisis.
This information was the most recent available when The Aransas Pass Progress went to press May 18, 2020.