City Council meeting overview presented
The Aransas Pass City Council took action on routine business, items regarding a colonia grant application, and items for the police department during a regular meeting Monday, Aug. 7. Due to Monday press deadlines before the council meeting, information about action taken is not able to published until the week after the meeting.
In action items, the council approve a consent agenda which included the second “reading” of ordinances regarding banner signs, commercial vehicle parking in residential areas, shared parking in non-residential zones, and a conditional use permit for a brewpub. The consent agenda also included a resolution adopting the Aransas County multijurisdictional floodplain management plan, and minutes of the July 17 and July 29 meeting minutes.
Other action discussed and/or approved is as follows:
• Renewed the publicity and tourism agreement with Aransas Pass Chamber Of Commerce for $180,000 of hotel occupancy tax funds.
• Approved a request from St. Mary’s Star of the Sea Catholic Church to temporarily close Rife Street, from Goodnight to Wilson, on Oct. 28, 2017 from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. for the ninth annual fall festival event.
• Rescheduled the Sept. 4, 2017 meeting due to a city holiday to Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017.
• Held a public hearing regarding the Texas Department of Agriculture Texas Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program to discuss the citizen participation plan, local housing and community development needs, available funding, eligible activities, past use of funds, and development of CDBG applications.
• Approved Resolution No. 2017-820 designating an engineering service provider for the 2017-2018 Texas CDBG Colonia Fund-construction application and project related engineering services.
• Approved Resolution No. 2017-821 authorizing the submission of a Texas Community Development Block Grant Application to the Texas Department of Agriculture for the Colonia Construction Fund (Sewer Improvements in Falman/Country Acres on streets along Highway 35 Access Road); and authorized the mayor to act as the executive officer and authorized representative in all matters pertaining to the participation in the Community Development Grant Program.
• Approved Resolution No. 2017-822 authorizing the submission of a Texas Community Development Block Grant Application to the Texas Department of Agriculture for the Colonia Construction Fund (Sewer Improvements in Falman/Country Acres on streets along Oak Lane); authorizing the Mayor to act as the executive officer and authorized representative in all matters pertaining to the participation in the Community Development Grant Program.
• Authorized the interim city manager to execute the treasury management agreement.
• Approved allowing the police department to terminate its current contract with Axon and enter into a new 5-year contract for an amount not to exceed $137,496.00 ($27,499.20/yearly).
• Approved authorizing the purchase of two unmarked police vehicles for investigations and administration not to exceed $120.000.00 each vehicle will be purchased with federal drug seizure funds.
• Approved entering an agreement with the plan of operations division for the State of Texas allowing police department participation in the excess Department Of Defense (DOD) Personal Property Transfer Program (1033 Program).
• Approved a Memorandum Of Understanding between the police department and the Aransas Pass Independent School District.